"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

18 August 2019

"Saviour of the World"

One of my children sent me the following prayer:
Saviour of the world,
What have You done to deserve this?
And what have we done to deserve You?
Strung up between criminals,
Cursed and spat upon,
You wait for death,
And look for us,
For us whose sin has crucified You.

To the mystery of undeserved suffering,
You bring the deeper mystery of unmerited love.
Forgive us for not knowing what we have done,
Open our eyes to see what You are doing now,
As, through the wood and nails,
You disempower our depravity
And transform us by Your grace.
Amen.
(Church of Scotland, Common Order 1994)

No comments:

Followers