"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

08 April 2005

On the Other Hand

There are, of course, those for whom fashionable angst is a pretension to some kind of prestige and "coolness."

These call into question the reality of depression, making it harder for the true sufferer to accept the reality of his or her problem, harder for others to feel compassion for the true sufferer.

Depression is real. It is dangerous. It is a horrifying darkness that no one could ever wish to suffer. Do not, I beg, pretend to depression to look "cool."

"Rejoice; again I say rejoice." We are commanded to rejoice. Why live in a pseudo-angst, mocking those who truly suffer, when you are both commanded and able to rejoice?

Minister joy to those who suffer, so they may see its reality and look towards the hope of knowing it again in more than mind alone. If I had not seen joy, I would not be here now.

No comments:

Followers