"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

05 July 2005

The Simple Life

Advice to young folks who wish they weren't treated as such:

Life is pretty simple, really.

* If you don't wish to be treated like a child, act like an adult.

* If you don't wish to be disciplined, obey.

* If you wish to have a sense of positive self worth, a) understand your relationship to the Saviour who died to redeem you; and b) work hard to accomplish your goals.

* If you wish to feel a sense of personal satisfaction, serve.

Think on it. Life's too short to be continually concerned with perceived complexities and injustices. You are the only person you have any control over, and your choices moment by moment will largely determine your future. Your choice of attitude towards those things you cannot control will determine how much joy you experience. No one can rob you of these choices; only you can determine to be miserable and bitter.

And note: I said life's simple, not easy. But the right choices unleash God's power to work in us through whatever comes.

Did I say advice for the young? How I need to remember it every day myself!

No comments:

Followers