"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

01 March 2006

Seven Songs and Five Simple Things

Lisa, over at Messy Musings, invited me to join a tag team for seven songs that are meaningful to one. Here's my list. (As you'll see, I'm not into contemporary music . . . Some folk say it's a refusal to grow up, but then, I don't really hear a lot of contemporary that compares technically with some of these, and none that have touched my heart the way these have.)

1. Be Thou My Vision
my favorite hymn
2. Bridge over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkel)
3. The Boxer (ditto)
my favorite songwriter is Paul Simon, and these melancholy yet hopeful songs have long been favorites
4. The Circle Game (Joni Mitchell)
the circle of life -- can't stop it and can't get off! at least it's a carousel in this song . . .
5. Fire and Rain (James Taylor)
6. You've Got a Friend (Carole King and James Taylor)
another couple of melancholy songs that speak to certain times and moods
7. Guns that Gained the Fame (Luke Axtell)
a friend of mine and a song about how pride destroys life (the gunslinger may gain fame, but at what cost to his soul?)

I also enjoy instrumental Celtic and Andean music, and bluegrass!

LuCindy, at Quotidian Light, asked folks what five simple things bring one satisfaction and pleasure. Here's my list:

1. sit on the porch and watch the clouds and the mountains
2. listen to classical music
3. work a crossword, cryptogram, or jigsaw puzzle
4. revisit a favorite book
5. Yoga stretches, which I need to get back into the habit of doing

I'd invite these folks to join either or both lists if they are so inclined:

Megan at In Middangeard
Amy at Over the Rainbow
Teri at Bo of the Bales
and anyone else reading who'd like to think on these things!

3 comments:

Fieldfleur said...

sitting on the porch, watching the clouds and mountains, listening to classical music sounds amazing!

posted mine too.

thanks,
teri

Lucindyl said...

Beth--Simon & Garfunkel are the coolest, and Celtic music just can't be topped.

Of your list, number one, of course, made my heart leap. Number five is something that I feel better for having done but get out of the habit of doing consistently very easily. (How's that for sentence convolution?):)

Lisa said...

I love Celtic and Bluegrass, too. And Be Thou My Vision...gosh, I didn't even put my favorite square presby hymns on my list. So much music, so little time. :)

I need to get back into yoga, too.

Thanks for doing the song list. :)
Lisa

Followers