"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

16 April 2006

Christ is Risen!

He is risen indeed!

It is a glorious morning here in the South, fit for celebrating the Lord's Resurrection.

I have been dipping into several newly arrived books -- Richard Neuhaus's Catholic Matters, Frederick Buechner's Now and Then and Longing for Home, among others. I have been particularly struck by the reminder I keep finding of the objectivity of our salvation. It was not in the first place dependent on how I felt or what I experienced, but on His work on the Cross and in the Resurrection. It does not depend today on whether I feel like it is true, but still on His work on the Cross and in the Resurrection.

What a glorious truth, one which has saved my mind and my physical life more than once. What a glorious gift of this day to remember it in.

Christ is risen!

He is risen indeed!

No comments:

Followers