"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

06 April 2006

Mocktails, Anyone?

I have been invited to a mocktail party this evening.

Alcohol being forbidden on our campus, the three young ladies who form the FHBC (Future Homemakers of B--- College) are fixing hors' dourves and non-alcoholic mixed drinks -- mocktails -- for two of us on the faculty. We even got printed invitations.

I am honored. I am especially honored because the three young ladies are biology majors and the other attendee is our female biology professor. Me, I'm in English. Biology is a foreign language, and biologists are always talking about body parts I've never heard of. But the young ladies take my classes even when they don't have to, and now they have asked me to join them for mocktails.

We have cool students here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss college...

Anonymous said...

We have pretty cool professors too :)

Lindsey

Beth Impson said...

Well, son, you'll just have to pursue teaching some day. It's not quite the same, but it has its perks! (Not the least of which is non-alcholic strawberry daquiris on a Thursday evening with lovely company!)

Lindsey, you are sweet!

Fieldfleur said...

The drinks may be mock, but I'm sure the toasting will be real.
:)
Enjoy!
Teri

Megan S. said...

Are you serious about the existence of FHBC... or is that a joke?

Sounds like a lovely evening.

Beth Impson said...

Thanks, Cassie! And thanks for visiting!

Followers