"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

20 April 2007

The Cross Point

"At the cross point, everything is retrieved from the past and everything is anticipated from the future, and the cross is the point of entry to the heart of God from whom and for whom, quite simply, everything is."

Richard John Neuhaus, Death on a Friday Afternoon

2 comments:

St. Kevin & the Blackbird said...

Thanks Beth for these nuggets. Time and the cross... Reading William Cavanaugh has got me thinking about the Eucharist as a memory of the past death of Christ and an anticipation of the future Kingdom of God. It is a 'memory of the future' which disrupts the uniform march of time in a line.
-Robin

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Followers