"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

18 May 2008

Off for a While

So before the YM finished, the college term was also over, and I am free for the summer -- well, relatively speaking:  no courses to teach and papers to grade, just prep for the fall, with new books for the two old courses, and two new courses . . . 

I spent this week, other than the day we finished up the last of the YM's work, clearing out my office at the college.  I don't know how many bags of paper I threw out -- 8 years' worth.  And a friend helped rearrange some of the furniture.  Although one desk still needs the drawers cleared and straightened, I will walk back into a clean, neat, almost completely prepared space when I come back at the end of June, a wonder to contemplate.

Tomorrow, I fly to visit my parents, to stay for a month or so; whenever J. gets leave after 9 June and comes to visit, I will return with him and his family.  I look forward to this visit so much!  My mother needs my moral support and help, along with my brother, in making decisions concerning my daddy, whose health continues to decline.  And I need time with both of them, more than the few days we usually are able to spend on our Christmas break.  I expect it to be both wonderful and very hard; all prayers are welcome.

I shall miss K and the YM, of course, and I hope they shall manage to stay out of trouble in my absence.  :)  I do not know if I will have internet access or not while I'm gone -- if so, I'll make an occasional update; if not, I'll be back sometime in June.

Blessings to all.

3 comments:

Ralph said...

Dear Beth, I will certainly keep you and your family in prayer... it's unbelievable, that it's been 10 years since my father went to be with the Lord.

I've been reading in "The Training of the Twelve" where Jesus talks to his disciples, and explains to them things that are to come, particularily his death. A.B. Bruce describes John 13:31-35; 14:1-4; 15-21, as counsel to sorrowing children. There is so much in the gospel accounts for situations we face in life, and especially words from our Savoir that describe situations like parents who will through death leave us.

May you have much joy in what you are about to undertake is my prayer, remembering and making memories.

Beth Impson said...

Thank you, Ralph.

Megan S. said...

Have a wonderful time with your parents! I pray that this summer is peaceful, with lots of meaningful family time to cherish. Congrats on the office overhaul; I always liked its snugness and the wall of books!

Followers