"As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame; / [ . . . ] Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; 'myself' it speaks and spells, / Crying 'What I do is me; for that I came'." --Gerard Manley Hopkins

03 September 2015

Getting Out of the Way

I have been missing my muse, in more ways than one.  Because I get to sleep late in the summer, I see Phoebe less often and usually only in the midday sky.  A few nights ago, I was up around midnight and thought that the street light was glowing more brightly than usual -- but when I opened the curtain, I found that the full moon was shining brilliantly above the trees.  Yesterday as I left the house for work, the morning star shone brightly above the horizon, and thought I'd missed Phoebe again, but when I arrived at work she shone above me, the light from her waning form as brilliant as at the full, fading out the clouds that tried to hide her.  This morning, almost at the quarter now, she shone in a cloudless sky and lifted my spirit again.  The day had seemed impossible, but no longer.  It's not up to me to create light, just do my best to get out of the way, to reject the clouds, and let Another's light shine.  I hope I can manage it, moment by moment.

4 comments:

Thomas D said...

A beautiful meditation. Thank you for posting it!

Beth Impson said...

Thanks, Tom. I haven't been able to write lately, and even something this "small" helps with the craziness that occurs!

ElenaLee (Barn Swallow) said...

"The day had seemed impossible, but no longer. It's not up to me to create light, just do my best to get out of the way, to reject the clouds, and let Another's light shine. I hope I can manage it, moment by moment."

I was blessed by watching you do just this during my time at Bryan!

I hope many gentle lifts come your way. Love you!

Beth Impson said...

How kind of you, Elena! May every morning bring you the new mercies of the Lord!

Love you, too, dear heart!

Followers